tan & baldisimo interview on rocket kapre

rocket kapre's paolo chikiamco sat down with budjette tan and kajo baldisimo to discuss their recent national book awards win, trese fandom, and what it would take for them to quit their dayjobs and make comics full-time:

Do you remember when it was that you first realized that you had a hit on your hands? That this was going to go beyond the convention circuit?

BUDJETTE: I’m not sure of the exact tipping point of Trese. I was getting an inkling of it when I would spot the occasional review online. (Yes, yes, I Google “Trese” once in awhile.) It amazed me that people took the time to write reviews that read like someone’s thesis report. These were very detailed and passionate reviews about the stories. It was also great to get feedback from guys like Gerry Alanguilan and Marco Dimaano about the book early on.

And then, when we released TRESE: MURDER ON BALETE DRIVE, me and Kajo were invited guests at the Mangaholix Con in SMX, where we sold 100+ copies. By that time, we knew that people really liked our stories.

KAJO: Honestly, I knew we had a hit when I first read Budj’s script ‘At the Intersection of Balete and 13th Street’. I knew that this would be a story that Budj and I were going to love reading, so making it was pretty easy. [Budj and Kaj] are easy customers, you see. It’s a little different now, but I still try and please those two and hope that many others are just as willing to ride along.

 full interview here.

ang maskot gets a nice little mention in there, and so my day is now officially made.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

hot, hot summer komikon 2010

read the first two chapters of "ang panday"

komikon indies (UPDATED) (and bumped)

25 komiks titles' best-sellerness