the art of caroll spinney

jim henson, frank oz, carol spinney. that's the muppet trinity for me. so i was so glad when AOL news did a feature on the man behind (inside of?) big bird and oscar the grouch, particularly about spinney's little-known art career.

"I started drawing when I was about 6 years old," Spinney told AOL News. "I was in love with the funnies [comic strips]. Back then, Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck had their own strips, and you could see them every week in full color. I loved it so much, I drew my own comics."

However, the extremely low pay pushed him away from Disney and toward a Boston television production agency that animated title sequences for commercials and shows.

"I needed a hobby," Spinney said. "So I got into puppetry."

Through his contacts at the production company, Spinney became Mr. Lion on the "Bozo the Clown" show, a stint that lasted nine years and brought him to the annual Puppeteers of America festival in Salt Lake City in 1969 -- a fateful visit where he met Jim Henson.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

hot, hot summer komikon 2010

read the first two chapters of "ang panday"

komikon indies (UPDATED) (and bumped)

25 komiks titles' best-sellerness