bill watterson's first interview in 20 years.




the calvin and hobbes creator talks about doing something cartoonists almost never do--retiring at the top of his game:

By the end of 10 years, I’d said pretty much everything I had come there to say.

If I had rolled along with the strip’s popularity and repeated myself for another five, 10 or 20 years, the people now “grieving” for “Calvin and Hobbes” would be wishing me dead and cursing newspapers for running tedious, ancient strips like mine instead of acquiring fresher, livelier talent. And I’d be agreeing with them...

I'm proud of the strip, enormously grateful for its success, and truly flattered that people still read it, but I wrote "Calvin and Hobbes" in my 30s, and I'm many miles from there.

An artwork can stay frozen in time, but I stumble through the years like everyone else. I think the deeper fans understand that, and are willing to give me some room to go on with my life.



you tell 'em, bill. most of the "grievers" really just wanted more "peeing calvin" anyways.



full interview here.

via

Comments

  1. Been a fan of Calvin & Hobbs for quite a while, didn't know that Mr. Watterson is already retired for 15 years already :p

    To me, Calvin & Hobbs is timeless: a "sutil" 6 year old who dishes out philosophical truths is really something :D

    Too bad that that I don't have all the compilations, since I thought that they're too damn expenpensive. Although in light of it's discontinuation, I feel it's a worthwhile investment: a library about the truths in life that I can swallow easily because of the humor of a 6 year old and his family.

    Thanks for sharing, Macoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oo, replay nalang yung mga nasa dyaryo. :)

    but the holy grail is still "the complete calvin & hobbes"... literally isang kahon na collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, o'nga at puro replay na lang :p

    Although I have two of his books, am now in the hunt for that "the complete calvin & hobbes" set...

    Thanks for the tip :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

read the first two chapters of "ang panday"

komikon: homecoming 2023

hot, hot summer komikon 2010

25 komiks titles' best-sellerness